Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009!

When I look at the great year gone by,
I realize, that good times really do fly,

The year was full of fun, with very little to rue,
amazing vacations and parties and some work too :P

Had to cancel the ski trip coz of work and weather,
will get a better chance this year, the earlier we gather

My friends presented me the best birthday ever,
with personal gifts which will stay with me forever

Puerto Rico was definitely the best part,
it'll always have a special place in my heart
It had everything from the pristine beaches,
to mountains n' rain-forests without any leeches :P
We danced like crazy at the salsa clubs,
San-Juan is indeed one of the tourist hubs,
I'll never forget staying in vieques for a full day,
the snorkeling, the kayaking and the bio-bay
The starfish was beautiful and so were the stars,
why, in such beautiful world, are there so many wars?

With food color filled balloons, we played holi,
the onlookers were jealous, aisi thi humari toli

The arrival of summer meant we could do things outside,
from rafting in white water to walking with the lake beside

Together with fellow indians, we celebrated the independence day,
"The human flag and kite-flying" is Northwestern's unique way

Then came my trip to India, to my beloved home,
good times with my brother, my dad and my mom
Together we traveled after a decade, we went to Kashmir,
a dose of time spent with them, is my secret elixir

Finally came, the biggest event of the year,
another great time, which I hold dear
Junta practiced for weeks for the Diwali show,
everyone was involved, almost everyone I know
Preparing, all of them, like there was no tomorrow,
the organizers were literally running on one toe
The performers combined their individual brilliances,
to bring us some great music and some wonderful dances
This was the best IGSSA Diwali show ever,
hope the event keeps growing like this forever

When life is like that, who needs alcohol,
waise bhi, nasha sharaab me hota to naachti botal! :P

This was my story, of the last year,
tell me yours, I am all ears :P
For a reader who has made this far :P,
A very happy and prosperous new year!

6 comments:

  1. Aha!! Wonderful!! My favorite lines:
    //The starfish was beautiful and so were the stars,
    why, in such beautiful world, are there so many wars?//
    :)))

    //When life is like that, who needs alcohol,
    waise bhi, nasha sharaab me hota to naachti botal! :P//

    But, knowing my poor knowledge of Bollywood and shers, I wouldn't know if that last line is yours or borrowed! :P

    Happy New Year to you too!! Cheers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks :)
    the last line is borrowed :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice poem sanchit!
    -monik

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice one sanchit....:)
    love the way its written...cld actually b a part of it....
    kn i juz tell u 1 thing....??
    I think der is a typo error.....its 'leech' ,not 'leach'
    Keep posting.....
    Simli Misra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment Simli and for pointing out the error. I have corrected it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sanchit! super cute! :) I do remember seeing ure snaps for all the events mentioned in the poem! Specially P rico had me green eyed with envy! :) hope u hav many many more lovely years!

    ReplyDelete